Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Lesson 6 - Wikis

Wikis offer a great vehicle for collaboration amongst a group of students. What a great opportunity it is for students to share their work, self edit and learn from one another. The thought of students wanting to go back to add and edit their work without us telling them to is fantastic.

The links Lori provided gave me a better grasp of how a wiki can be used in the classroom. While some clearly showed the collaborative nature of a wiki, I felt a few just looked like a website with links.

Currently, I am contemplating creating a wiki in conjuction with two science teachers based on science misconceptions. The students are going to look at a misconception they have, research it to determine the truth about the topic. I'm thinking a wiki would provide a great tool for students to share their ideas to help them clarify their thinking about the topic they are researching. It would also provide the students an opportunity to share their thoughts with students outside their teams that are studying the same thing. Wouldn't that help create a sense of school community?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this idea for a wiki, Angela. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

teacherlee said...

Not only would your idea "create a sense of school community", wouldn't it enrich their lives as thinkers and learners? I can't wait to visit your scientific misconceptions wiki. I hope that I am brave enough to attempt one, myself.