Friday, May 18, 2007

Lesson 5 - Free videos

After exploring the sites I have been pondering what could be done with the free videos that are available. To be honest, my first reaction to U Tube was "Oh, My!" this is coming from a person that considers herself as pretty liberal when it comes to the content of the books that are in the Middle School library. Then I realized maybe I am looking in the wrong place (what does that say about me :) After globally looking at the sites, I found that there were some videos that would be worth showing to students, especially newsclips of things that are happening now. The nature of the content of the commercial sites, along with the reliability of the videos (because they are put up live immediately by anyone) would make me hesitate having students searching them to find info independently, especially the little guys. That being said, it might be fun to watch a homemade video on a subect and compare it to a reliable source to see the difference.

I like the idea of Next Vista being educational, free and vetted. While the quality of some of the videos were not the best I suppose they could come in handy if a student misses a lesson and one is found that would teach the info in a way that would work for you and the student. Or why not just tape your lesson and add it on for everyone's use?

While the sites were easy to navigate, sometimes it took a long time to download the video (I was using Roadrunner) and the quality wasn't always the best for sound and clarity.

I am interested to find out how others would or have used them in their instruction - or if they would even bother to use them.

No comments: